Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Editing: The sound of Mantis

      Right now I am still in the process of editing our film. The next thing I will be focusing on is the sound. Sound is very important in a film, silent or not. In silent movies, the music carries the mood and creates feeling for the audience. In traditional movies, dialogue creates the story and helps create connection while background music can help create mood. Types of sound include dialogue, background music, non-diegetic sound, diegetic sound, etcetera. My film is supposed to have an intense feeling. Sound can help create this intensity with dialogue, which will tell the story and blatantly tell the audience what is happening and how they should feel. Sound can also create this intensity through the background music. Background music can emphasize suspense and help the audience foreshadow something eerie is coming. The reason I am devoting a whole period of editing to sound is because of the importance it holds.
     The dialogue in the film was the first thing my group and I focused on. The actual dialogue was recorded during the filming process however, it needed some tweaking. I began by evening out the sounds. Some scenes were different volumes when the actors spoke at different volumes. Once I evened out all of the dialogue, I moved on to the music part of sound. The music needed to enhance the intensity of the film. My group and I decided that suspenseful background music would best fit the scenes in our film. However, this instrumental will not be played throughout the whole two minutes. The instrumental will be inserted only in the scenes it is needed. Sound is one of the most important elements in a film so it is important my group and i perfect it to the best of our abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment